SP2010 SP2 Failed to create the configuration database - SPUpgradeException was thrown

Today I was setting up a new AX DEV VM with Windows Server 2012 R2. When I install SharePoint 2013 the pre-requisite install failed. A quick google tells me that SP2013 is not supported. (SP1 will fix this).

No problem, I'll go back to SP2010 SP2, which is supported in both Win Server 2012/2012R2. I installed SP2010 without any issues. However, I got a "Failed to create the configuration database" message when configuring the instance. A SPUpgradeException was thrown with a message similar to "Failed to call GetTypes on assembly Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server, Version=14.0.0.0, bla bla bla..."

Took me much longer to find an answer this time, turned out the culprit was Microsoft Office InfoPath (In case it has something to do with version, it was Office 2013)! Well, since I was using Office 365 offering, I had no choice but to install everything (including InfoPath). I uninstalled the office and re-install Word/Excel/etc using other means, then this error is gone.

Problem solved! =]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Comments